[T3] Front shocks

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Sat Aug 14 21:30:35 PDT 2021

> On Aug 14, 2021, at 9:14 AM, Keith Park <topnotch at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
>

> Yes, that’s what I want to avoid, the stiff ride...  gotta use all that suspension height I have in the front 😊
> If I remember right though, there were originally different shocks for the front between the different vehicles,
> And the T3 ones has 311 part numbers,,,,  IF I remember right.

As far as I know, nobody makes truly correct type 3 shocks anymore.  On my 65 Squareback I ended up replacing the failed originals with Sachs part number 195 431.  The compressed length was off by about an inch, as I recall.  Which direction I can't remember -- it's been a long while.  It made me grumpy initially, but they performed perfectly well.  I saved the originals because there are a few shops out there that do shock rebuilding/restoration and I figured it'd be one of those "one day" things.  Then I got tired of hanging on to them because the not-quite-right ones performed just fine and I was tired of shuffling the originals when looking for stuff in the garage.

Soren