[T3] Alternator autopsy

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon Aug 23 19:23:22 PDT 2021

I pulled apart the alternator that I had to remove, with much difficulty,
from the 2056 after only a few thousand miles

And it was clear what had happened in there.

I came in as a core, the slip rings were turned down but never even smoothed
out, the back bearing was bad and apparently they couldn't get it off,

But the pushed the slip ring assy forward on the armature to the point that
one of the brushes was only making contact on the edge of the slip ring, and
to make matters even worse, the brushes still had the deep grooves in them
from the original worn slip rings!  So the bearing was never replaced, they
messed up the slip rings and never replaced the brushes!  ABSOLUTE JUNK!

So the moral of the story is, if it's a starter motor, alternator,
generator, maybe even a wiper motor if it's a rebuild, TAKE IT APART and
make sure all is right in there before you install it!  You cant trust
anything anymore.

I cut the bearing off, will clean up the slip rings and put new brushes and
bearings in it.

Keith

Keith Park