[T3] Case ID

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 26 14:42:40 PDT 2021

On 26 Aug 2021 at 15:30, David wrote:

> The original case numbers have been machined off, and further forward on
> the case (more like in the middle of the case) are the stamped numbers "T0
> 1600 2X". Based off the new generic appearing case numbers - the best
> guess is this is a remanufactured block.

By original case numbers, I'm guessing that you mean the engine serial
number that's on the top of the case, not the casting numbers that are on the
sides near the bottom.

I don't know, but my guess is the same as yours, that this has been
remanufactured by someone. The T0 sounds like the beginning of a dual
carb engine number. Maybe this number was stamped on a complete engine
to identify it in the warehouse. The meaning of 1600 is probably the obvious
one, but 2X could be anything, possibly their 2nd level of rebuild.

The T0 designation probably means an early single pressure relief valve
case with 8 mm oil passages. Is that correct?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org