[T3] Ignition coil

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 27 08:28:53 PDT 2021

On 26 Aug 2021 at 22:23, Larry Thrasher wrote:

> I have two VW German Bosch ignition coils that are different sizes.  The
> smaller one has the numbers 221 114 014 and 113 905 115 C  and the longer
> one has 043 905 115 C and 221 119 025 stamped on the bottom. They both
> have a have VW also stamped on the bottom. Does anyone know what they
> were used in and is there any difference/advantage between them. Thanks

I don't know. The VW numbers would seem to indicate Beetle and 043 (???)
origins, but VW often used those parts on other cars, so the number usually
indicates the type where that part was FIRST used. The Bosch number
should have 10 digits, so I suspect you're missing a leading 0.

My collection of coils has several with the Bosch number ending in 027.
Interestingly, one of those is blue. I believe all the black ones came on Type
3s, but they don't have a VW number on them.

I looked at a 1989 VW dealer price list and see 9 different coils listed,
ranging in price from $28 to $130 each. I can't imagine what would cause
that amount of price difference.

I'd never looked at this part of the Type 3 parts book before, but that's also
interesting: It lists one 6 V coil and 3 different 12 V coils, one of which, the
115 C, was just for our FI cars. I don't know any reason for there to be
different coils on different cars all with the same basic Kettering ignition.
Bosch did make different coils for cars with various other kinds of electronic
ignitions, but that never applied to our OE Type 3s.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org