[T3] New noise from engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Dec 30 06:13:00 PST 2021

On 30 Dec 2021 at 3:03, Larry Thrasher wrote:

> I've just started hearing a new noise from the engine in my '68 that has
> the factory FI. It come as a distinct metallic rattle any time you open
> the throttle, in neutral or on the road under load. The noise seems to
> originate from the 3rd cylinder area. I have checked the timing (0 at idle
> and about 35-37 max) and the valve gap is in specs.  The engine seems to
> run okay otherwise.  Any thoughts on what it may be and/or what I should
> check would be appreciated.

There are a number of things that can get loose and cause a rattle. A good
way to start is to run the engine while pressing on different things to see if
you can stop the rattle. Run the throttle with one hand while feeling around
with the other.

If you have an OE style muffler, check its metal heat shields. They tend to
come loose on the ends as the metal underneath rusts away, leaving
something that rattles.

There are heater boxes on each side of the tranny that have little elbows on
top. The elbows are each secured with one sheet metal screw, but
sometimes that screw is missing (common on the right side of '71s.) Check
those.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org