[T3] Fuel Pump Relay - 69 Fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 9 10:35:02 PDT 2021

Tim,

86 should get 12 V from the main relay as long as the key is ON.

85 gets grounded by the ECU for ~1 seconds unless the engine is turning
over. If the engine is turning over (or running) the ECU keeps this terminal
grounded.

85 & 86 are the connections to the relay coil, so the relay should close and
send 12 V to terminal 87 for ~1 second after the key is turned ON or as long
as the engine is turning over or running.

Check the fuel pump fuse carefully. Sometimes the fusable link can break
but still look good.

87 is the power source for the fuel pump. It should have 12 V on it as long as
there is 12 V from 85 to 86. Follow that red wire to the firewall and find a
brown wire that comes along with the red wire from the pump. The brown
wire is the fuel pump ground.

It can be helpful to get someone to listen down by the RF tire, to see if they
hear the fuel pump buzz. It should always buzz for that first ~1 second.

On 68-70 cars that brown wire goes to ground via a rather torturous route. I
make a very simple $10 kit to greatly improve the reliability of that ground,
but I need your VIN to get you the right kit.

If you're not getting full voltage from the pump relay, try a small jumper wire
from a reliable 12 V source to the red wire to the pump.

There are lots of possibilities for why your car won't start. Check to see if the
pump is running. If it's not, continue checking out its power source, both 12 V
and ground. If those are okay, the problem could still be in the pump. I
rebuild them, but that starts to cost real money.

Stick with this and keep us in the loop. We all want to see you get this
running nicely.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org