[T3] "Reconditioned" gas tank. Re: 1973 Volkswagen Type III on eBay

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 30 14:01:07 PDT 2021

On 30 Jun 2021 at 11:58, Max Welton wrote:

> I've always thought the peeling problem had to do with how the tank was prepped.

That's probably true, but most owner's won't have any control over the prep, so we're at the
mercy of the installer.

My take on this is twofold:

If your tank has rusted thru perforations, a coating might fix it, at least temporarily, but
you're almost certainly better off with a good used tank from a scrap car. They are out there,
and not expensive.

If your tank is NOT rusted thru, you don't need a coating. The brown Bentley manual has
directions on how to remove surface rust and prevent future rust.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org