[T3] Vent window glass

David Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 02:01:03 PST 2021

I had to replace the catch on my Beetle vent window some years ago. That has a similar vent window (in fact it takes the same rubber as the Type 3), but it slid out from the gasket with some persuasion.   I guess you might try to introduce some lubricant between the gasket and glass, or distort the frame a bit to help break the bond. Air pressure? Soapy water?
Reinsertion is shown in the manual using a frame holder and a screw clamp on the straight edge.  I was able to slide the glass back in after riveting the new catch, without the special frame.  I guess it was ‘needs must’, and maybe a bit of drying out of the rubber. I didn’t try to renew the gasket.

Maybe something there will help.

Dave. UK VW Type 3 and 4 Club.