[T3] a stumper!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun May 16 15:40:20 PDT 2021

On 16 May 2021 at 9:06, Max Welton wrote:

> Maybe a harmonic that shows up in that range and is making some
> connection unhappy?

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the points bouncing? Perhaps just try a
different set of points, or I have different points with stronger springs that I
would only recommend for someone who wants to run at unusually high
RPMs. You could try one of those, just to see if it changed anything. If it
pushes the miss to a higher RPM range, then you've found your problem.

And check the ground strap on the points plate, to make SURE it's working.

Finally, note that the points plate has to rotate to advance the timing as the
RPM increases. As it rotates, the points wire has to flex and this can cause
problems if the wire inside the insulation is broken. You should also check to
make SURE that no part of the points comes close to shorting to ground as
the points plate rotates. (IIRC, there's a screw there that can be VERY close
if the wrong (too long) screw has been installed somewhere.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org