[T3] a stumper!

Jon Stiles misterstiles at gmail.com
Mon May 17 09:12:03 PDT 2021

Keith,

This certainly sounds like a radio interference issue. I have had similar problems crop up in customer cars in a few scenarios that may be present. So here is an exhaustive “maybe” list:

Using non-resistor style spark plugs with L-Jet and D-Jet

One faulty spark plug with an internal or unseen manufacturing defect

Using aftermarket non-resisted spark plug leads.

Using a non-resisted rotor.

A rotor that sits too high on the distributor shaft and a distributor shaft that has too much vertical play. (Common when using a Compufire points replacement). As the engine spins up, the shaft will want to rise up and will just kiss the plastic moulding on the cap, usually on a post that has a little extra casting plastic left over. This would be rare as I have only seen that twice in 25 years.

Having an external relay (that powers anything) near the FI trigger wire from the distributor to the computer module, or near the hall sensor wires.

A faulty Temp 2 sensor (L-Jet)

A stuck vacuum advance plate

On bad or worn injector in which its solenoid is not able to fire at a continuous rpm range. (I check them by sound with a 9 volt battery wired to an injector plug with a button switch. They should all sound the same, if one has a softer click it may be the culprit.)

With that list the most common is spark plug, leads, rotor, or lead connector radio interference.

Hope this can help. Intermittent RPM dependent miss-firing can be super frustrating.

Jon Stiles