[T3] 9-pin relay position?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 28 08:17:44 PDT 2021

On 27 May 2021 at 18:53, Max Welton wrote:

> 67 Fastback, 9-pin relay
>
> The relay clearly just needs a hole for the sheet-metal screw. Where
> was it put by the factory? I should already have the hole, right?
>
> This is my left-side firewall shown from the cabin side.
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2182331.jpg

I believe the relay would have mounted above that half round plate, just to
the right of the tape on that wire in the upper left of your photo that looks like
it might be the place. This requires a stubby Phillips driver from above to
install.

On my '68, that tended to get water on it from above when the drain tubes
from the vents clogged, so I made an "umbrella" from plastic film that I stuck
on top of the relay with double stick tape. That saved the relay from future
water attacks.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org