[T3] a stumper!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 17 07:01:40 PDT 2021

On 16 May 2021 at 20:14, Keith Park wrote:

> Any thoughts about the trigger points also having an issue like this?

I don't think it's likely, but I suppose it's possible. Do you have a different set
of points you could try?

Old trigger points need to be "reset" as the rubbing blocks wear down. It's
important to make sure that cam is free of rust and dirt, to minimize wear and
it should have a thin layer of sticky grease on it to lube the rubbing block.

I reset the trigger points on every distributor I rebuild. I can also just reset
trigger points rather cheaply if you send them to me. ISTR that I reset
several of Keith's a few years ago.

I've certainly seen problems that were caused by trigger points worn out of
spec, but I don't recall those problems being RPM related.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org