[T3] Starter motors

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Oct 19 08:19:17 PDT 2021

On 18 Oct 2021 at 20:48, Bryan Peters wrote:

> Yes, SR15N is a new, more compact, and slightly high torque then the
> rebuilt. In fact, I think thatTMs all Bosch is offering anymore.

Okay, thanks for the info and explanation. I didn't know about this option. It
looks to be a modern clone of the SR17 (no tranny support needed.) Power
rating is listed as 0.7 kW (a bit more than 1 HP), which is more than either
the SR15 (0.7 HP) or SR17 (0.8 HP) OG versions.

Interesting that these seem to come with stickers telling you not to hammer
on the side of the motor housing. I take this to mean that these are
permanent magnet motors, which is probably a good thing that also explains
the higher torque in spite of slightly smaller size.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org