[T3] 73 T-3 oil temp?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 19:53:29 PDT 2021

I am always told SAE 40 is too thick. Would it be wise to try SAE 30? Just
to see what the temps are. Autozone has STP SAE30 detergent oil , no idea
what the zinc content is . I still want to see what the cooler bypass
relief valve looks like. If the spring is weak it may not allow the oil to
go through the cooler. I do have a NOS spring and piston, also want to know
if the relief valve is free and not stuck. It's been there since 97 and I
used the one from the 73 case so that spring has to be pretty old and the
73 did get real hot once over 250.   I understand how thick oil may take
too long to open the path to the cooler. I ran Castrol for a few years. It
has no zinc yet it didn't hurt anything. This engine does not have more
than 40K miles on it . If I go to SAE 30 and it runs cooler and I hear no
noises it might be ok , if I hear noise I can go back to SAE 40.  The
Valvoline SAE 30 costs a lot just to see if 30 makes any difference.