[T3] Loses Power After Running

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 9 08:16:55 PDT 2021

Tony,

Sorry for not replying to this sooner. I was hoping that someone with more
Type 4 experience would have an answer for you.

I'm absolutely NOT sure about this, but your symptoms make me wonder if
you're overheating. Here are some things you might check.

Is this Type 4 engine getting proper cooling air from the Type 3 body? It
needs to be sucking air from the cooling air ducts in the body. If it is just
sucking air from the open space to the rear of the engine, it will be getting
hot air to cool itself. That would be bad. Effective ducting can be done, but
it's quite difficult.

Timing to 7.5 BTDC sounds rather advanced to me. Check to see how far
advanced it gets at high RPM. If it gets much above 30 BTDC then you
should drop back to less advance at idle. It may be useful to verify, with a
long screwdriver down a spark plug hole, that TDC is where you think it is.

Remove the spark plug wires from the plugs and inspect down each hole for
mouse nests. If you find the tin filled with nest material, you won't be getting
sufficient cooling to the cylinders. Fixing this may require pulling off the tin or
maybe even pulling the engine first.

Could there be a clogged fuel filter, or a clogged filter screen in the bottom
of the tank? It's possible that enough fuel is getting thru to sustain idle, but
once you start asking for more power the carbs are starving. If you pull the
hose off the bottom of the tank, you should get a pencil sized stream that
puts out a scary amount of gas (DO THIS OUTSIDE!) If it dribbles, there's
blockage.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org