[T3] Loses Power After Running

Tony Rongey trongey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 15:12:54 PDT 2021

Aha! It was the prefilter on the pump. Rusty sediment had clogged the screen. Cleaned it up and ran fine. Have to plan some time now to flush the tank, but it's running.
Tony

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 11:14 AM, Jim Adney<jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:   On 10 Sep 2021 at 14:00, Tony Rongey wrote:

>  Hmm, good thought.  It has the vent hose in place, but there's no
>  guarantee that it's not clogged.  That would also fit with the slow up
>  and down pattern.

I believe you said this was in a '68, which had rubber hoses for all the vent
lines. These do not corrode internally like '70 and later do. Some sort of
clogging is still possible, but unlikely.

More likely is a cracked overflow hose that has let dirt and water into the gas
tank. I don't know if water might cause this problem, but dirt can certainly
clog the filter screen.

If there's still an inline filter, it could be clogged by either dirt or water. Water
soaks the paper element and keeps gas from getting thru.

If you still have the original black rubber overflow hose, it will be cracked by
now. The original part is NLA, but I sell a kit to repair that part that is much
more durable than the original part. For a '68, that kit costs only $30,
including shipping, and will save you many times that price in future repairs
and headaches avoided.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

If you need more help, contact: gregm at vwtype3.org