[T3] Wipers

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Tue Sep 14 18:09:48 PDT 2021

> On Sep 14, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
>
> The clamp style, with the pinch bolt, are good. The set screw style are hard
> to keep working. If you can get a second pinch bolt style, that would be easy
> and keep the car "original." It will be hard to find the correct arm.

The same "oops, this design is terrible, let's fix it" thing happened on Bugs, which makes it fairly easy to find clamp style Bug wiper arms.  One way to work around the scarcity of clamping type 3 wiper arms (especially early ones) is to buy some easily-sourced Bug arms and do some surgery.  You can use a Bug wiper arm base with the longer bit of a type 3 arm.  I did this on my '65 and it wasn't difficult.

Good Bug style arm on the left, bad type 3 one on the right:

http://blef.org/vw/t3/wipers/bugleftt3right.jpg

Pry open the type 3 base and remove the long section:

http://blef.org/vw/t3/wipers/t3sacrificed.jpg

Do the same for the Bug:

http://blef.org/vw/t3/wipers/bugdisassembled.jpg

Mash 'em together, and voila!

http://blef.org/vw/t3/wipers/frankenwiper.jpg

Soren

P.S. I'm almost certain I have a proper set of the '67-down clamping wiper arms if anyone is looking for a pair.