[T3] Loses Power After Running

Tony Rongey trongey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 16:33:07 PDT 2021

I'm working on a T4 1700 in a manual '68 Square (it came with the car).  It's got dual Brazilian Solex 32s on short manifolds.  It's got an electric fuel pump that's factory set for 3.5psi (haven't tested that).
It starts and runs well, idles fine. #2 plug shows a little oil burning. Dwell is 44deg and timing is just before the 7.5 mark, carbs are balanced at idle and at speed on the snail gauge.  I can start it and drive it around for about 5 minutes regardless of how long it's been idling.  After that it suddenly is just barely running.  It's not rough like a miss.  It starts with kind of a surging feel then becomes more of a smooth non-existence of power.  It will die at a stop if I don't give it some pedal.I've noticed that after that if I park it and leave it idling after that it will speed up a few hundred rpms then slow back down over about a 1 minute cycle.  If I try to drive again it starts out OK, but within about a minute the power is gone.
Does anybody have a clue what I should be looking for?
Tony