[T3] 73 T-3 oil temp?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 9 15:00:47 PDT 2021

On 9 Sep 2021 at 11:03, William Jahn wrote:

> Here where I live there exist only 2 auto parts stores AutoZone and
> O'Reilly . AZ mainly carries synthetic oil and as for or any with zinc
> Valvoline 20/50 is it and they have no zinc additives, very little
> conventional oil other than STP in SAE 30 and 40 . O'Reilly has better
> selection trouble is it's in a very bad area.

I think SAE 30 or 40 are probably both fine for you, but 50 is going
overboard. Straight weight oils are hard to find these days, and you probably
don't need multiweight living where you do. Here in Wisconsin I can get
stuck if I have SAE 40 and the temp suddenly drops to zero. BTDT, don't
want to do it again. OTOH, my Type 3s seldom see those temps any more.

There are often better shopping options than auto parts stores. I buy store
brand Diesel 15W-40 at a local place called Farm & Fleet. Comes in 2.5
gallon jugs for about $22. There's a chain called Tractor Supply which you
might find closer. Look for places that sell to truckers. I can find the Lucas
ZDDP additive at my FLAPS.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org