[T3] Wipers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 14 11:25:02 PDT 2021

On 14 Sep 2021 at 12:59, Joe Plowick III wrote:

> I'm trying to refurb the wipers on my '69 Squareback.  The original wiper
> posts have become pretty gnarled up as they always do but the motor appears
> to work just fine.  For my wiper arms, I have one that has the set screw
> and another that has the clamp bolt.  Some pictures can be seen at the
> link below.  Which would be the better way to go?  Try to refurbish the
> original posts, either trying to find replacements or whatever.  Or switch
> over to the '70-only model that is splined?  I've seen one for sale on
> thesamba.com along with the necessary wiper arms.  What's exactly needed to
> make the '70s work, if anything?
>
> https://imgur.com/a/71eSc5L

The clamp style, with the pinch bolt, are good. The set screw style are hard
to keep working. If you can get a second pinch bolt style, that would be easy
and keep the car "original." It will be hard to find the correct arm.

I don't think there's anything special you have to do to swap in a '70 setup,
but it's a lot more work, and probably a lot more expensive.

'68-9 cars all came with the set screw style, but VW did a recall to replace
them with the pinch bolt style. As with all non-safely recalls, not every car got
switched.

For '68-9s:

Left arm: 311 955 407 B

Right arm: 311 955 408

Earlier cars had the same problem, except that the stub the arm was
supposed to grab onto was even smaller (6 mm?) For those cars, the pinch
bolt arms are the same: 311 955 407 A.

When I got my '69 the wiper arms were loose on the shafts, because the
shafts were so buggered up that the arms could not slide all the way onto
them. I managed to file off the high points so the arms could fit. They have
worked fine, but I'm not sure if I have the L & R on correctly. I may even
have two lefts or two rights. Too bad they're not marked.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org