[T3] Hanging the rear hatch (fastback)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Apr 6 14:28:19 PDT 2022

On 6 Apr 2022 at 13:38, Max Welton wrote:

> I am about to hang the rear lid on my car. I'm guessing the rods and
> brackets get installed first and then the lid gets bolted to the brackets.
> Any hints? I really don't want to scratch anything.
>
> I have these pictures of someone else's 67 for reference.
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2278000.jpg
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2277999.jpg

Yes, install the torsion rods and brackets first, then attach the lid. I'm not
familiar with the Fasty/Notch torsion bars, but if they are at all similar to
those on Squares, they are difficult and dangerous to install. VW had a
special tool to let you tension them without leaving your fingers in the way.
Be careful, unless you look forward to the nickname, Stumpy.

I recommend 2 people for the lid installation. You'll want one person to hold
it in place while you go from side to side getting the bolts into place. This is
probably easier on a Fasty than on a Square, because the lid is much
shorter and much, much lighter.

It can be a 1 person job after the bolts are in, but a second person would be
helpful, if only to keep releasing the latch as you adjust the fit.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org