[T3] Whats a good 36mm socket

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jan 16 10:26:34 PST 2022

On 15 Jan 2022 at 10:43, William Jahn wrote:

> I don't know anyone who I can borrow a big torque wrench from.

You don't need a torque wrench. Divide 225 ft-lbs by your weight, in pounds,
and that gives you the distance, in feet, from center that you have to stand
on your breaker bar. to get the right torque. Don't jump up and down, just
stand gently on the breaker bar.

My torque wrench only goes up to 150 ft-lbs, so this is what I've done for
decades. As my weight, unfortunately, goes up over the years, I stand closer
and closer to the socket. The torque, however, remains the same.

I agree that a 3/8" drive socket is probably too small. 1/2" is probably okay
for occasional use. I use a 12 point socket, because that gives me more
options for getting my breaker bar horizontal before I step on it. There are
some farm stores near here that carry a lot of large wrenches and sockets
that I use for stuff like this. They are 1/6 the cost of Snap-On or Craftsman.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org