[T3] 73 type 3 square back.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jun 3 06:43:23 PDT 2022

On 2 Jun 2022 at 19:40, William Jahn wrote:

> I replaced the oil filler boot , the only one who made one that was proper
> was ISP West. I never had the filler neck off and the boot was rock hard and
> spitting .

I have a few good used OG boots. There were 2 different designs: The early
one was two pieces, a small grommet for the top plus the long corrigated
sleeve with a metal clamp on each end, and starting around '70 a single
piece solution that eliminated one metal clamp at the top.

> I was amazed how much crud was around the metal fill tube and the boot where
> it sits inside the fresh air area .

That part is always dirty. Half the cooling air flows around that tube, and
leaves behind a lot of dirt over 50 years.

> There was only silicone or a very old rubber gasket  between the filler neck
> back side of the flange and the body. ISP sent a rubber gasket.

That rubber gasket was another design flaw. VW chose a rubber compound
that was not compatable with oil. They always turn gummy and then crumble.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org