[T3] Time to re-tire the Notch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 9 06:55:47 PST 2022

On 8 Mar 2022 at 19:52, Keith Park wrote:

> Bone stock, 5.5" 15" empi's

IIRC, going lower profile by 10 almost exactly compensates for going wider
by 20, giving you the same rolling radius, so 185/70SR15 might be a good
choice. That assumes you have the same ET (unlikely) and that the wider
tires will still clear the fenders, inside and out.

The EMPI wheels probably have Beetle ETs, which are less than Type 3s,
so they will position the tires farther out than stock. That's may not be a
problem in the front, but I think the outside of the rears are gonna hit the
fender.

I had one pair 185/80SR15s on stock wheels at the rear of my '68 (RIP)
many years ago. They BARELY cleared the inside of the fenders. They also
made the rear of the car taller, which made it wobble around, as in top
heavy. Those tires had been given to me. I wore them out but never
repeated that mistake.

Like you, I'm getting concerned about what I can buy for my next set of tires.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org