[T3] TB Info?

Max Welton max.welton.2k at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:07:47 PDT 2022

>You sure about that? That's a very unusual failure mode. They seldom fail at
>all, but if one failed, I'd expect it to fail shorted or open. Have you tried
>measuring the resistance in the freezer and in boiling water?

>What resistance are you getting?

@38 deg (ice-water)  => 648k
@60 deg (ambient) => 395k
@120-F (hot tap water) => 128k
@198-F (water boiling at 7500') => 35K

You are correct. The thermistor is reacting to changes in temperature.

The MS calibration parms call for three temp-resistance data points
but also a value for a bias resistor. I don't have one of those so I
entered zero ohms for that.

>Oh, and regarding your extreme high idle: Any chance you have the wrong
>(metal!) intake manifold gaskets? FI Type 3s NEED the special bakelite
>spacer gaskets. If you use the metal Beetle gaskets, those will leak at the
>heads.

I don't remember if I used metal or the fibrous gaskets. That would
certainly explain the high idle. And also that the ECU was adding a
ton of fuel to correct the AFR. I'll absolutely check this.

My question is .. why would a type-3 FI engine require different gaskets?

Max