[T3] Auxiliary air regulators

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 18:09:40 PST 2022

Been quiet here lately so while we all hope and pray to get the invasion in before the next variant arrives (I think we’ll be fine)

Ill ask a high idle question.

Ive never liked how the cold idle tracked, even on the stock engines, too little cold and doesn’t come off fast enough as it warms up.

On the 2056, im running the electrical AAR, which lacks the ability to stay warm with block heat like the mechanical ones do which compounds the problem of poor tracking.  The 2056 needs more air when its cold than the stock motors did, so the dead cold idle is too slow and it runs too rich, but it warms faster than the AAR closes down so by the time im leaving the subdivision the idle is over 2K

Now you can change the dead cold mixture with the cylinder head temp sensor, and that usually needs tweaking especially on a built motor but with mine, if you lean it up you end up starting the engine twice or more, and you still have too low a dead cold idle… so, with our open-loop systems the only real answer

Is an adjustable AAR, does such a thing exist?  Or, has anybody tried modifying the stock electrical AAR’s like we have on the automatics?

The orifice size will pass enough air if the obstruction is opened up, but its not just opening it up but changing how quickly it closes, and well… I only have 12V to work with here!  😊

Thoughts ideas and suggestions?  (and no snide remarks about putting carbs on it)  😊