[T3] 2022 Type 3 Invasion

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 18 05:49:42 PDT 2022

I'm having a hard time trying to decide about attending this Invasion. Melissa
has decided not to go, just because of potential problems with blood clots in
her legs as a result of all that driving and sitting. I have ethical problems with
burning a lot of gas on a optional activity during a time (Russian invasion of
Ukraine) when we should each be trying to cut back.

And then there's COVID. We'd all like it to be done, but it's not. Known
infections are spiking again, and deaths nationwide are back up on the order
of 1000 per day. It's not the news we want to hear. With the broad political
spectrum represented in this group, it seems likely that some attendees will
be unvaccinated, which makes COVID spread at the Invasion possible.
Sure, it's unlikely that any of us will die as a result of this, but every infection
is an opportunity for another infection and a host where the next
mutation/variant might develop.

That said, I'd feel a LOT more positive about attending this year if I knew
that everyone there was vaccinated.  For the record, Melissa and I are both
vaccinated and double boosted.

Yes, each of us gets to decide whether to vaccinate or not and to accept the
ramifications of our decisions. Since, on average, each person who gets sick
will pass this on to ~3 others, the vaccination decision also affects our
responsibility for the people we might infect, and the people they might
infect. The chain of transmission is long, and the opportunity to break it is
valuable.

So, I'm going to ask: If you're coming to the Invasion, are you vaccinated?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org