[T3] LEDs for directionals

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu May 19 17:49:46 PDT 2022

Reason #867 I wont drive a modern car, they disable the cruise control if
you so much as fart in the seat!  Last thing I want on a long trip
Is to lose cruise for something stupid!

Keith

For our cars this is true and totally agree, but they sell these for more
modern cars where the systems require resistance in the system to not just
run the flasher but to also notify the system that there is a bulb. Example
my 99 chevy requires a small load for the cruise control to work without it
the ECU disable cruse found this out on a long trip to pick up a trailer
and, on the way, back the cruise control worked because of the added load of
the bulbs on the trailer of which were not there on the way to get it.

There are also electronic flashers that eliminate the need for the resistor
and are sold to fit all the different old style systems out there. SBLED
sells one I believe.

Daniel Du Vall
72 Squareback

> Superbrightleds do offer this resistor kit for those experiencing the
> behaviors you described.
>
> https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/led-l
> ight-load-resistor-kit-led-turn-signal-hyper-flash-warning-fix/190/831
> /?accessory_of=2625-recommended

Unfortunate and silly to waste power in a resistor just so you can install
power saving LEDs. I suspect this mod ends up using more power in the end,
making the whole effort expensive AND pointless. Hope you didn't have to go
down that hole.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org