[T3] Clock Question-Internal coil

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat May 21 11:29:16 PDT 2022

On 21 May 2022 at 10:50, oktype3tim at cox.net wrote:

> Regarding the original clock winding mechanisms.  There is a resistor across
> the coil that, when energized, causes the clock to wind.
>
> Is the value of the resistor different between the 6V and the 12v clocks?

Maybe, but I don't know; I've never worked on a 6V clock.

> And what should the value of the resistor be?

12 V clocks have a 100 Ohm resistor. I replace them with a properly oriented
diode.

> Why-I have a clock that winds just fine on 12V but won't wind on 6V.

I'd expect the 6 V coil to have half the resistance of a 12 V coil, but with the
same number of turns. Hence, larger wire. They would need to develop the
same number of Amp-turns in order to make the same magnetic field.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org