[T3] That Fuel pressure regulator

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 18 04:56:52 PDT 2022

On 17 May 2022 at 20:57, Keith Park wrote:

> This is the same car, but the FI lines have been changed a couple times in
> the past 25 years so...

I was thinking more about the steel lines that run thru the body. If there was
rust there it could be flaking off slowly, but at this point my money is on the
regulator vent.

> Now, the only problem I could think with a hole is that if the diaphragm
> ever fails, it would spray gas onto the hot engine, but I don't think ive
> ever heard of one of those diaphragms failing.

Hmmm, that's worth considering. I've never heard of a diaphram failing like
that either. I wonder if there's a way to make a vent that has limited
conductance, or will plug up if exposed to fuel. Or maybe the safe solution is
to turn the adjusting screw a full turn and back once a year and then reset
the pressure. That would break up the corrosion and enable the thread vent.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org