[T3] LEDs for directionals

Daniel Keith Du Vall dduvall at 1peter4-10.org
Thu May 19 13:06:23 PDT 2022

For our cars this is true and totally agree, but they sell these for more modern cars where the systems require resistance in the system to not just run the flasher but to also notify the system that there is a bulb. Example my 99 chevy requires a small load for the cruise control to work without it the ECU disable cruse found this out on a long trip to pick up a trailer and, on the way, back the cruise control worked because of the added load of the bulbs on the trailer of which were not there on the way to get it.

There are also electronic flashers that eliminate the need for the resistor and are sold to fit all the different old style systems out there. SBLED sells one I believe.

Daniel Du Vall
72 Squareback

> Superbrightleds do offer this resistor kit for those experiencing the
> behaviors you described.
>
> https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/led-light-load-resistor-kit-led-turn-signal-hyper-flash-warning-fix/190/831/?accessory_of=2625-recommended

Unfortunate and silly to waste power in a resistor just so you can install
power saving LEDs. I suspect this mod ends up using more power in the
end, making the whole effort expensive AND pointless. Hope you didn't have
to go down that hole.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

If you need more help, contact: gregm at vwtype3.org