[T3] Master Cylinder Sleeving

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Oct 1 13:24:54 PDT 2022

I just got a tandem master cylinder back from having a sleeve installed. I
have to send them somewhere else to be done, but I've found a place that
has a lot of experience with this and installs stainless steel sleeves. Up to
now, this has not been a reasonable option for common master cylinders,
because by the time I pay postage both ways, the price of sleeving exceeds
the cost of a new cylinder.

Lately, however, the price of replacement tandem master cylinders for Type
3s has doubled, making sleeving a good choice. The price, including
sleeving and rebuilding, is about the same, but the master with a stainless
steel sleeve is better than a NOS master.

The price, either way, is about $255, plus shipping.

So, take care of the ones you've got. They will last a very long time if you
flush DoT-4 thru them every few years, or just install DoT-5 (Silicone) and be
done with it. I've been using DoT-5 in all my aircooled cars since 1977. I
strongly recommend it. The up front cost is higher, but the downstream
savings are immesurable.

PM me if you want installation instructions.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org