[T3] Wait, what???

Greg Merritt gregm at vwtype3.org
Thu Dec 7 17:34:59 PST 2023

On Thu, Dec 7, 2023 at 5:06 PM Keith Park <topnotch at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>  you still have the 69?

Yep. In uh....2011? or so, the #3 exhaust was suddenly tight, so I
adjusted...then just way too soon it was super tight again, so I
adjusted...this happened several times, and I ran out of adjustment range,
suggesting that something was wrong. (Valve...stretching? Seat...smashed??)
Pushrod seemed fine, and I swapped rocker arm assemblies across the two
heads, but the problem stayed with the valve.

I figured that the head would need to come off to inspect what was going
on, so I parked it.

Meanwhile, around that time, multiple local serve-yourself instant car
rental services popped up, and there are always cars available within
walking distance from home, so I just grab a car on the rare occasions that
I need one. (Urban living offers daily needs within a short walk or bike
ride -- there's a neighborhood grocery store around the corner, a weekly
farmer's market a block away, plus the train station is within walking
distance, and so on -- so driving isn't required for daily living.)

Aaaaand the Square is still parked. I should probably find it a new home...!

-Greg