[T3] 73 square auto trans aux air regulator?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:11:42 PST 2023

 Part of the problem is most of the time I don't drive very far , just
short trips nearby , the engine does not get close to fully hot. I know it
is open on startup and it does fully close when I test it. It seems even a
10 minute drive even at temps in the 60's it should close. I do know when
the weather is warmer it closes much faster. Even then on any cold start
regardless of ambient temp the RPM is say 900 RPM then the time it takes
around 10 minutes to back out of the garage then the RPM is 1400. Even
after a short drive as described above and it sits for an hour while in a
store I start it the RPM is normal then climbs back up. I do know if I
drive farther it does close. If I'm fast enough I place it in drive before
the RPM climbs. I think just the cool ambient air flowing through the valve
in some way pulls any heat the valve's coil builds up when all is trying to
heat up. Inside the valve the element is heating a small chamber but the
metal parts of the valve are like a heat sink. Does not explain why it used
to work better..I know after I rebuilt the AT AAR I powered it up and
watched the valve close and it took maybe 10 minutes and moved slowly but
smoothly. This last time I didn't remove it to see , you can't see just
removing the hose with a mirror. I just know it did close without jarring
it. Even when I drive a short trip for 10 minutes and place it in park the
RPM is at least 1200 RPM when I shut it down.

 When I got this car upon start up the RPM never varied much , it was
slightly above 900 RPM in park and dropped to 850 , it never stood out
like  now

 Also I have the 73 case sitting here , it does have a hole in the case, I
didn't measure it but it looks to be more than an inch. I rebuilt a 72
case, I had been sitting as a spare and don't remember if it's the same. I
know I used the old bracket for the 73 case. I thought all cases have this
hole for the mech fuel pump.