[T3] Torque wrench?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 2 13:41:46 PDT 2023

On 2 Jul 2023 at 10:09, William Jahn wrote:

> Is it true if you use one that is 0-75 ft lbs and you torque a nut to 14
> ft lb it will be at a much higher valve

I don't think that's generally true. It's probably true that all manufacturers
calibrate their torque wrenches at one value, but the good ones will make an
effort to make their wrenches linear. None will be perfect, but it's probably
impossible to predict in advance what imperfections remain.

It's probably true that most makers calibrate their wrenches near the top end
of their range. What happens below that is probably more random than
systematic.

If the choice was mine, I would do the calibration somewhere between 66%
and 90% of full scale. 75% seems like a nice happy medium.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org