[T3] Back to removing the cable shifter in the notch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 10 06:09:56 PDT 2023

On 9 Jul 2023 at 13:17, B Fye wrote:

> I basically had to disassemble the rear end of the speedster to get the
> nosecone off the transmission. Next, I need to make the transmission mount
> area removable to put the new nosecone on and make is serviceable in the
> future (learn as you go). If that all goes well this week, I can start
> installing the shift rods and removing the old cable mounts.

I'd like to better understand what you're doing. Does this mean that the mid
engine speedster now has some sort of cable actuated tranny, and you're
hoping to convert it to a more solid rod control? I'd love to see some photos
or sketches of what this looks like now and what you propose to change it to.

I'm trying to remember how the shift mechanism gets around the engine on a
914, but my memory fails me here. Are you hoping to duplicate the 914
system? IIRC, there were two different generations of 914 linkages, but they
both used completely different nosecones from the standard VW. Is your
tranny a VW? Or is it from a 914?

What are you hoping to improve, or are you just having a problem with the
current setup
?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org