[T3] I wanted to ask on the early FI auto trans IAD

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 16:37:05 PDT 2023

Thank you, that clarified part of it. I have 4 now. All I can say is the 73
is just like you described. I have one off a 72 auto trans and it's exactly
the same as the 73 minus the EGR  pipe and the addition of the second
vacuum port for the 72 only dual port vacuum can. Both have the PCV pipe.
One I got from ISP west I can tell it's a 72 manual trans because it has
the one lever arm and the added 2nd retard port off the bottom and it has
the PCV pipe and the MPS port is on top on the left , temp sensor on the
right , it has the dashpot thing bolted to two studs where the EGR pipe
would fit but no auto trans port .
 The one I got from Tram has the PCV pipe , the correct auto trans lever
and the spots to mount the kick down switch, no EGR pipe and it has the MPS
bottom left and Auto trans port on the bottom right , and temp sensor top
right .

 What I was looking for was one that had no shaft play at all and both of
these do not . I guess I'll try the one Tram sent since it has what I need
. They all seem  to be later because all do have the PCV pipe on the back
cover and this was not on any before 72 that I know of.  I  can see the PCV
back cover is original on all 4.

 I am not sure how liquid oil finds its way in the MPS hose oher than just
heat the oil bath has while running or an overfilled oil bath or one with
to thin of oil , Mine did have oil in the IAD , the 72 I used last time I
replaced the runner hoses and intake gaskets and all fuel and vacuum lines.
That took a long time to get that way and it's still clean inside since I
did this at the end of 2019. Now however the 72 IAD is so worn at the shaft
it's useless and probably the source of the high idle/ vacuum leak.