[T3] Brake Cores Needed!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 24 12:30:46 PDT 2023

Dear Fellow Type 3 Parts Hoarders,

As many of you know, I do a LOT of brake rebuilds for the Type 3
community. While most of what I do is simply rebuild and return, there are
times when the parts that I get are too far gone to be rebuildable. For these,
I have to dig into my stash of old parts to get a core to get them back on the
road.

I am currently out of tandem master cylinder cores. If you have some old
ones in unknown condition lying around, I'll pay the shipping, plus a bit more
for your trouble, to get them here in the hope that they might help someone
else's Type 3 get back on the road. These will have the Ate or FAG marking
on the side; I'm not interested in other aftermarket brands. Ate is preferred,
but I'll take either.

If, by any chance, you have one of the really early, single circuit, Type 3
MCs around, that's marked 20 instead of 19, I could use a couple of those,
too. They don't come up often, but they are occasionally needed, and I'm
currently out.

In a pinch, I can get any of these sleeved. While that option works really
well, it's also really expensive. It adds at least $150 to the total cost, putting
it over the price of new ones, which have gone way up recently.

Email me directly, not thru the list, and let me know what you have.

BTW, if you have brake parts lying on your garage or basement floor, just
sitting there in case you might need them someday, keep in mind that letting
them sit without cleaning them out and getting all the brake fluid and rust out
of the insides is the very best way of assuring that they will never be usable
again. If you want spares, send them to me for rebuilding NOW, or donate
them to me for the sake of the wider Type 3 Community.

thanks,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org