[T3] Late Brake Light Switch Wiring Harnesses?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Nov 12 10:21:23 PST 2023

VWs, at least in the US, started coming with a brake warning light on the
dash in 1968. To implement this, VW made a special master cylinder with a
second, parallel bore with shuttle pistons. This MC was only used in '68-9. It
was replaced by a MUCH better design in '70.

I consider the '68-9 MCs to not be rebuildable. They are a bad design and
most of the time I can't even get them fully apart. Frankly that design sucks,
and VW stopped making the original design parts available early in the '70s.

To install the latest version of the Type 3 MC, there are several additional
parts that need to be replaced. The brake light switches need to be
upgraded from 2-pin to 3-pin; the LF hard line needs to be replaced with a
later version; and it needs a later wiring harness to run from the switches on
the MC to a 3-way connector at the LR of the trunk.

I always save that harness when I part out a car, but I've used up all my
saved harnesses.

Does anyone have a parts car, '70 or later (preferably '71 or later) that they'd
be willing to harvest that harness from and sell it to me, so I can do a good
job of upgrading those '68-9s when they come to me?

thanks for reading and thanks from my customers who will benefit from this,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org