[T3] Noisy Tranny

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 25 08:50:31 PDT 2023

Rebuilding VW trannies is really hard. I suspect that most of the rebuilders
out there don't bother with all the checking and reshimming that a careful job
requires. Bearing dimensions are extremely precise, so you can skip the
shimming if you're only replacing bearings, but I would not be surprised if the
rebuilders end up mixing and matching ring & pinions to use as many old
parts as possible.

If you asked for a change in final drive ratio, I'm willing to bet that you got a
different (used) R/P set with the shims it came with, but no new shimming to
fit your case. That's not a good choice.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org