[T3] Paper air filter

TOM MITORAJ rebs12 at prodigy.net
Fri Jan 5 07:18:23 PST 2024

I will take that as a no!

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, January 5, 2024, 10:15 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

On 5 Jan 2024 at 14:09, TOM MITORAJ wrote:

> What do you all think about using an appropriately sized paper air filter
> instead of the oil in the oil bath air filter? If so, any idea which
> filter fits?

The oil bath air filter may seem archaic, but it's very practical and very
efficient, better in all respects than any paper filter. I find that I seldom have
to change the oil in them.

Check them by sticking a finger down in the oil and wiping the bottom.
Collected dirt will settle there, creating a thicker sludge that you can feel. If
that sludge layer gets thick,, clean it out and replace the oil. I usually let it go
until it's at least 1/8" thick, but I suspect it could be MUCH thicker with no ill
effect.

This would be different if you live in a really dusty environment, but where i
live, the air is generally quite clean and there's seldom much dirt for the filter
to remove.

BTW, when dealing with the air cleaner, NEVER let the upper half turn
upside down. That allows dirty oil to get to the outlet side. When checking
the bottom half, just set the top half on a rag or newspaper, not upside down,
as the natural tendency would be.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

If you need more help, contact: gregm at vwtype3.org