[T3] Electric Fuel Pump Issue

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 30 15:44:59 PDT 2024

Richard,

The electrical connection on the pump is one of the common places for
leaks, on pumps that have been out of service for years, but it's unusual for
pumps that have been working. The problem is that, over time, the O-rings
get saturated with gas, leaching out some of the original plastizers. This is
fine as long as the gas is there, because the gas swells up the O-rings,
helping them seal. But if the car is parked for years, the gas dries out and
the O-rings shrink and no longer seal.

IIRC, your car was out of service for years, but then you got it going again.
I'm guessing that the dried out O-ring was sealed by a combination of
corrosion and dried gas residue, but eventually the fresh gas dissolved the
old gas residue and now it's leaking.

I rebuild these pumps, and leaks are not the most common problem, so fixing
yours now will avoid future problems. In your case, I'd take everything apart,
clean it all up, replace all 5 O-rings, plus the rubber tip on the relief valve
piston, and the alum relief valve cap. This is a lot of work, which is why it
costs $165 plus postage. I should be able to turn it around in under a week.

You're lucky this happened now. ;-)

Here's my ad on theSamba. There are photos there, too.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1821211

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org