[T3] Endless Problems, update....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 8 08:19:33 PST 2010

On 8 Dec 2010 at 1:20, J. Jonik wrote:

> Well, the question is...how'd a virtually new battery GET "completely
> discharged" ? Are we narrowing the chase down to the generator?  And, how can
> it be "completely discharged" if it reads 11.30 v?  Why not Zero volts?

Even the best battery will discharge in use if the charging system is not
working. Your battery voltage is way below acceptable, the only question is
whether this is because the battery is defective or because the charging system
isn't working.

> Then, how'd the Muir book get it so wrong?...re/ 9.50 being adequate for
> FI?  Isn't that book The Bible?

No, the Idiot's Guide is not the bible. I love its karma but I go elsewhere if
I want real info. Tell me where it says 9.5 V is adequate; I'd like to take a
look at that passage.

>  Will try to follow your charging system guide tomorrow, cold out though it
> may be.  Will report results to list etc.

I rewrote my charging system guide before I sent it to you, because I saw that
it didn't deal with possible problems with the battery. The task here is to
figure out which parts (battery, VR, generator) of your charging system are
good and which are faulty. I realize that this can be a daunting problem if
you're not comfortable with electricity, but I'm pretty sure that what I've
written will sort out your problems if you follow the instructions step by
step.

If you find the instructions hard to follow, I'm happy to get feedback which I
may use to improve them.

Other people who want a copy should email me directly and I'll forward a copy
to you, too.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org