[T3] Endless Problems, update....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 8 18:39:00 PST 2010

On 8 Dec 2010 at 15:05, J. Jonik wrote:

> 1-   Muir book says Fuel Injection needs 9.50 v ---on page 129, re/
> Checking Starting Voltage. I wonder who wrote it.  "John Muir", of
> course, is just a nom-de-manual  homage to the great environmental
> protector.

Okay, you missed the context. 9.5 V is the minimum you might expect
to see while cranking the engine with the starter. The starter draws
a lot of current, so that always pulls the voltage down
significantly. In no way is that number intended to be a normal
operating voltage.

> 2-   Battery is now being charged. It started at 12.24 v and is now up
> to 12.90. The charger has no dials or anything...just two choices....2
> amps or 10 amps.   Period.  I have it on 10 amps. Correct, I hope.
> Will put it in tomorrow when it gets up over 14.00, as per Jim Adney's
> charging FAQ.   If it doesn't get up over 14.00 v, does that mean a
> batt cell is shot?  If it does go over the 14.00 or so level, does
> that mean it's ok?   And again...is it that cells cannot be properly
> checked with just the water ball tester? Or can they?

I believe the faq told you to put it on your lowest charger setting.
Put it on the 2 A setting. It's going to take a long time - days.

The good news is that it looks like your battery itself is probably
okay. It's just discharged, so this means that you have generator or
VR problems. Once you get the battery up to 14 V, on the slow charge
setting, you can proceed with the rest of the tests.

> 3-   I have a good looking generator in waiting, but will use the nice
> and long brushes from current generator.  I cleaned the commutator
> with solvent, a stick and a rag as Bentley advised.  But, will do
> tests on current generator before changing anything, except the
> battery.   I can always take the (almost new) battery back to the
> store to put on their testing gizmo.   But...hmmm....what if it's my
> generator or VR that damaged it? Is that possible?  Why'd my last
> battery become un-chargable within a year?

Right now I'd say that your old battery was probably okay. It sounds
like your charging system was at fault.

> 4-   Not uncomfortable with electricity...just a tad ignorant. I don't
> know a volt from an amp from an ohm...or what they mean really.   I'm
> hoping my VOM tells me if the Generator is good or bad. If it's ok,
> why change it?   If not ok, I'm ready with replacement(s).      Then,
> how to know what's wrong with it?   Maybe just needs a cleaning?

Cleaning is seldom the solution to a generator output problem. Stick
with the troubleshooting in the faq and you should be able to sort
this out. I think you're finally on the right track.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org