[T3] Endless Problems, update....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 8 19:22:06 PST 2010

On 8 Dec 2010 at 21:58, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Jim, would you still need the charger putting in 2 amps at a time IF he was
>  dragging the voltage down with the starter, or from use (or both)? I
> though you  had said this type of recharging isn't a problem, only when it's
> slowly been  discharging from non-use.

You're right. You can charge quickly if the discharge is recent, but
at this point I suspect that he's had a charging system problem for
many months and just didn't realize it. That means that this battery
has not been properly charged since he bought it.

The only "harm" in charging slowly is that it takes time, so I'm
suggesting the slow charge since that will produce a good charge with
no chance of damage to the battery. He could charge fast for awhile
and then switch to slow, but I don't know how to tell him when he has
to switch over. In effect, he's already done that.

And, BTW, I forgot to mention that the generator idiot light being
out does not always mean that the charging system is working. It will
come on in some failure modes, but not in all failures.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org