[T3] How much Money?? Early notch issues?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 21:47:39 PST 2010

In a message dated 12/11/2010 12:06:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

I  have no idea how much this might cost, as I have done all my own
work for  the last few decades. My main advice would be to make SURE
that you get  ALL your old parts back, especially the carb parts and
the old fuel pump.  If those are OE parts, they may be irreplacable.

Aftermarket parts may  be available, but they are often greatly
inferior to what you already had.  It's a tragedy when you discover
that your good parts disappeared into the  trash a few weeks or months
ago. This may be true of any needles and jets  for the carbs and the
fuel pump body may be an early Type 3 part only,  that can be rebuilt
by the right person but never correctly  replaced.

Absolutely correct. I too have been doing my own work since the late 70's,
and can confirm what Jim said, especially with the early 1500 Type 3s.
Listen to  what GizmoBob is telling you, as he has a line on the early stuff
being a member  of the 1500 Club. Some of those parts ARE irreplaceable !! And
some are most  definitely rebuildable. There's also a guy in PA that sells
NOS front brake  shoes on the Samba that you might want to contact. I'd have
got them myself, but  they're for an earlier car than I have (wrong size
shoes). Also, like Jim  mentioned, the carb kits that are available today might
not have the best parts  in them, requiring the use of your old ones to
actually work. Just my 2 cents.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)