[T3] Endlesss Problems...another update...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 12 10:23:40 PST 2010

On 11 Dec 2010 at 23:35, Keith Park wrote:

> Ya know, even when I had the T4 alternator on there it still didn't charge
> at idle, didn't kick in till about 1500RPM which is about where the
> generator starts to kick in..

That indicates that you needed a smaller alternator pulley. An
alternator should be run at faster shaft speeds than a generator.
That's because, unlike a generator, there's no speed above which
alternator output falls off. So you can set the pulley ratios to give
you charging at idle.

With a generator you have to compromise on the pulley ratio, because
if you make the ratio too high, output at highway speeds will
actually fall off.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org