[T3] Endlesss Problems...another update...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 12 10:23:41 PST 2010

On 11 Dec 2010 at 22:08, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> This is a big  problem for low mileage "city" cars, as they don't run
> long enough to charge the  battery, or dry out the exhaust system. On
> our cars, low speed city driving  doesn't allow the engine revs to get
> high enough to charge the battery, or keep  it topped off. This is
> part of the reason quite a few people have gone to an  alternator
> conversion.

I've NEVER seen a charging problem in one of our cars due to just
city driving. While it's certainly true that the generator puts out
nothing at idle, there's plenty of charging available at city speeds
in reasonable gears. If you think you have such a problem, it's more
likely due to a problem in your charging system that prevents it from
working up to its design potential. After all, when these cars were
new, they were often driven exclusively in town for many years
without problems.

You may have a problem if you've added aftermarket loads, such as
large wattage headlights or big sound systems, but that was a
compromise you accepted when you installed those items. In those
cases, you may need to use a charger occasionally or install an
alternator conversion.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org