[T3] [T-3] Screw sizing

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 15:34:52 PST 2010

Well, as I understand it, #4 and #6 are the order of the drills in a full
set starting from 1/16" and going up in 1/64", so #4 is 7/64"  and #6 is
9/64".  Multiply those by the conversion factor of 25.4mm per inch gives
2.78mm and 3.57mm.  The first is close, but 3.9mm is closer to #7, which
would be 5/32" or 3.97mm.  I don't know if you can get #7 screws though.

I hope that helps, and if it's rubbish, I'm sorry.   It took me half a
lifetime to realise that screw numbers related to the order of drills in the
normal set, then they went and adopted the metric system for engineering.
It's the clearance hole for the screw, as I recall.

I'm about to be involved with a UK school building a Rans S6 aeroplane kit,
with Imperial sized everything!  So having taught kids to measure everything
in metric, we will now have to help them get used to our old ways, as well
as get used to them again ourselves.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club