[T3] Update on my early Notch in the Shop!!! Early notch issues?

William McInerney billymac53 at msn.com
Mon Dec 20 11:59:44 PST 2010

I enjoy being able to drive the stick as it makes me feel I am doing something that people said was impossible when I was 16, the "challenged" guys should know how great of a feeling that is!! I also enjoy keeping ithe Notch orignal. Plus, for the last 13 years or so I haven't used my required equipment in any of my automatic cars. My last job consisted of me driving used/new cars to/from the local DMV for inspections as I worked at a car dealer...many of those are sticks. That is how I overcame my challenge. Since I learned and was confident in driving stick, I wanted to buy a classical VW as I was told I would never be able to when I was 16 (thats when I fell in love with type 3s as they came fully automatic, buses too obviously). I have a 84 Rabbit Wolfsburg automatic and a 99 Nissan Frontier 4x4 auto that are my daily drivers. This is my first manual tranny car and it is not my daily driver by any means. However, for safety reasons, it probably would not be a bad idea to do the auto conversion and it would be less of a task to drive and more relaxing...regardless I am having fun though. I drive very very defensively when I am behind the wheel of any manual transmission as my reaction time is not exactly fast and I understand that. I would hate it if I rearended a car or hit a person in the Notch just cause I couldn't hit the brake fast enough or with enough pressure with my right foot in an emergency stop situation. As of today, I drive all automatic cars with my right foot on the gas and my left foot for the brake, but in the manuals I use my right foot for brake and gas.  You don't think it would take away anything from the 62 Notch, if I decided to do the conversion? It's a special example and I would hate to diminish it's character. Would it work with the single carb and everything else...it was upgrade to 12V as well?